Monday, August 28, 2017

This is a Work of Love and Not Statistics (update #56)


Bonjour!!!

It's been a great week! I'll just go through some quick highlights:
MLC (Mission Leadership Conference) on Tuesday!! 

Got to see Soeur Jones and lots of other mission friends. 
And of course President and Soeur Brown who taught us a little bit more about how we will be using Facebook as a new missionary tool. In short, I will primarily be using Facebook to better communicate with our amis and members here in Bordeaux. It will also be a cool tool for keeping in touch with amis and members from my old villes. So most of my posting will be in French :) I'm super excited and I can see already that there is so much potential with Facebook. Before my mission I thought it was just a way to waste time/ stalk people/ a less good instagram. But I'm realizing as a missionary that it's a really good way to keep in touch with people. And a lot of times people are way more willing to be friends with you on Facebook than to exchange numbers haha. It's pretty funny that here I am using Facebook for the first time in a year and I think it's the coolest thing ever.

Then on Saturday we learned how to make sushi chez la famille T.-C.!! 
It was so fun. Frère T C invited his less active sister who invited her non-member friend and it turned into a great lesson about Heavenly Father and how much he loves us. I love that after a year of being a missionary, that is the fundamental truth that I always come back to. I LOVE this quote by Elaine S Dalton:

"I have always loved the story of the son of King Louis XVI of France because he had an unshakable knowledge of his identity. As a young man, he was kidnapped by evil men who had dethroned his father, the king. These men knew that if they could destroy him morally, he would not be heir to the throne. For six months they subjected him to every vile thing life had to offer, and yet he never yielded under pressure. This puzzled his captors, and after doing everything they could think of, they asked him why he had such great moral strength. His reply was simple. He said, “I cannot do what you ask, for I was born to be a king.”
Like the king’s son, each of you has inherited a royal birthright. Each of you has a divine heritage. “You are literally the royal daughters of our Father in Heaven.” Each of you was born to be a queen."

The knowledge of our divine origin and potential really can change everything about how we confront challenges in life. Souvenons-nous donc qui nous sommes, les fils et filles du Dieu Tout-Puissant! (Let's remember who we are, children of the almighty God)
Last miracle I'll share for the week was Monday night. We arrived in Lyon earlier than usual so we had the time to go with the Val de Saône sisters to pass by Constance. When I was in Val de Saône we went over to Constance's house every week to teach and prepare her 8 year old daughter for baptism. I remember one day we spent a whole morning bending over backwards to help get the program ready. It was a small thing, but important to Constance. We had already been showing her drafts for weeks, but the day of printing she had a lot of last minute changes she wanted to make. I won't go into details, but chasing Constance around that morning felt a little frustrating and perhaps even a waste of time. But in the end the program did turn out well.   :)

Anyway, Monday night when I said goodbye to Constance she just hugged me and said "tu es mon ange." She told me about how thanks to her daughter's baptism, her friend Fabrice was able to meet the Ecully missionaries and eventually get baptized. She told us that she was having a hard time and that she needed us that night. I didn't do much of anything ever. I was a blue, I didn't speak great French, I spent too much time making a little baptism program. But Heavenly Father let me be a little observer to how HE has supported this woman of faith through her immense trials.

My mission isn't about making perfect programs.  It's about people. It's about Gods children here in France who need to know God loves them. "This is a work of love and not statistics" and it was so cool to travel back in time a little to Val de Saône to be reminded of that.

Well, that's all I've got for this week. I love you!

Soeur Camille Goold









  

















Envoyé de mon iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment