Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day in Bordeaux (update #43)

Bonjour tout le monde!!! Happy Memorial Day!!

I'll be completely honest and admit that I 100% forgot that Memorial Day existed until I read my moms email this morning. BUT while we were in downtown Bordeaux with all the missionaries we ran into two very patriotic Vietnam war veterans who most definitely did not forget about Memorial Day. You can imagine our surprise when we saw this guy walk by in a button down shirt covered in American flags and tanks.
Of course we had to go talk to him and his friend, turns out they're here on a cruise touring Europe and their kids are members living in Utah! We gave them our names and card and they were super sparked to meet "Mormon missionaries" in France. And it made my day and reminded me of how grateful i am to be American. I LOVE France, but I love my country too.

This week has been so incredible. For starters, Soeur Wadsworth is the best!!! We're seriously having so much fun already and we just naturally get along super well. Just for a little peek into her personality, she's the most chill, calm, happy, best listener, funny, person alive. And she has an angelic voice. #blessed Anyway, it's honestly usually a bit rocky for me adjusting to a new ville and new companion (I can take a while to warm up to people), but this week has honestly been incredible in a weird way. It's been SO HOT. I think right now in the chapel is the first time all week that I haven't been sweaty. And we've done a lot of walking! I love it. It's kind of a nice change from Lausanne where we were still wearing coats last week.

Here are just a couple of my favorite moments:


Saturday morning we had Conseil de Paroisse (Ward Council) over the phone and I'll be honest and say I wasn't understanding anything. Conference calls+ French= bad combination. Even the French people said "je n'ai rien compris" I'll try harder next time.. but, anyway, I decided to do something semi effective so I just sent out a little scripture text to some less actives and ancient Amis. Nobody responded except for one person who said "merci," pretty normal. Fast forward to that afternoon, we had a rendezvous with a less active which we ended up being late for and then she wasn't even home, so we went straight to our next rdv at the church which put us on a bus we normally never should have been on. There was a cute mom with an adorable baby and 2 little girls I decided to talk to. We had a nice little conversation until I mentioned that I was a missionary and she just responds "I know. I was baptized in your church in Guadeloupe." NO WAY!! So cool. When she moved here she lived too far to go to church so she never came but she recently moved to Talence! Then I asked her name... Angelique. She was the same person that responded "MERCI" to my text that morning. Her names not even on our ward list, but somehow she was in our phone, and it's pretty clear she's on God's list.

Then another huge miracle was the rdv with Maxime. He was an ancient ami in our phone that we called and fixed a lesson with. He's a little interesting and has trouble speaking, but it was honestly one of the best rendezvous of my whole mission. The spirit was so strong and he agreed to be baptized the 22 of July. He has a lot of preparation to do before then, but it was so powerful how the spirit really prepares people and gives them the desire to act.

One day while we were walking Soeur Wadsworth told me a story from her first transfer (she started her mission in Lausanne!) she was leaving the church and they had to run to catch the metro. They were in a serious rush so they were hard core running. Noticing that her stride felt a little more free than before, Soeur W looks down to realize that she was no longer wearing a skirt. She whips around to find her skirt lying on the ground several feet behind her. In her rush to catch the train her skirt had literally fallen to her ankles and she ran right out of it without even noticing. Hahahaha. I literally died laughing. Almost peed my pants imagining her running the streets of Lausanne with out a skirt. (Don't worry I didn't actually though...).

In other news, tomorrow we're taking a PLANE to Lyon for MLC (mission leadership conference)!!! I'm so pumped. I always thought the next plane I took would be going home, but nope. And tomorrow I'll get to see Soeur Jones and Soeur Goreeba and Soeur Kelley at MLC. SOOOO EXCITED! Anyway.


Have an AMAZING week! Love you all :)
Soeur Cami Goold







No comments:

Post a Comment