Monday, June 5, 2017

Huit Baguettes... (update #44)


Hellooo!!
Not much to update on this week, Bordeaux is awesome. We do a lot of walking and get a lot of sun. The last two weeks have been a little bit of a shock because there are a lot of young families and young adults here which is super cool. But it's a huge change in noise level during church from Lausanne because almost the whole ward consisted of personnes un peu âgées hahah. It's so fun being able to serve in the different sides (literally) of the mission and see so many different wards.

This week we had MLC which was really cool.
We talked a lot about what's next after the Paris temple consecration. In all honesty, After seeing so many miracles leading up to the temple consecration and being so excited for so long, I was scared that after the consecration I would be disappointed. What would there be to look forward to? I found the (obvious) answer while studying in preparation for the consecration.


In Our Heritage chapter 3, it says:

<< With the completion of the temple, the Lord poured out powerful spiritual blessings upon the Saints in Kirtland, including visions and the ministering of angels. Joseph Smith called this period “a year of jubilee to us, and a time of rejoicing.” Daniel Tyler testified, “All felt that they had a foretaste of heaven. … We wondered whether the millennium had commenced.” >>

It was not just before, but WITH the completion of the temple that the blessings were poured out. What do we have to look forward to now? Powerful spiritual blessings. The ministering of angels. A year of jubilee and rejoicing. A foretaste of heaven. I'm sure that the best miracles are yet to come.

For district meeting on Thursday Elder Hansen asked us to bring 8 baguettes so we went to the little bakery in our neighborhood. It turns out it wasn't open yet but the door into the back kitchen was open so we walked up to them and in our charming American accents asked if any other bakeries were open. They of course asked what we needed and when we said "huit baguettes" they proceeded to pull 8 baguettes directly out of the oven and put them in a bag for us. Anyway, there was absolutely no value or importance of that story, it was just a moment that made me really happy to live in France where there are more bakeries and baguettes than anyone knows what to do with.

Soeur Wadsworth and I are having a blast together. I'm so blessed to be with her for her last transfer, she's literally so cool.

The end of this last week was honestly a little rough for me. Everything with Soeur Wadsworth and Talence is amazing, but I just found myself missing home a little and feeling a little discouraged about how much progression I still have to do to become the missionary/ human being I need to be. A little discouraged by not having any super progressing Amis in this moment and feeling like I'm not a good enough missionary to go find them.


Sunday morning before church I stumbled upon a talk by Elder Scott called "Finding Happiness." I know this is something I've talked about before, but it seems to be something I need constant reminding of. It gave me back the joyful perspective that I lost sight of a little bit for a couple of days.


The perspective that there is no need to be discouraged because of my personal weaknesses because:
"It is a principle of happiness to work hard and to obey willingly the principles of truth, confident that the Lord will open doors of help when needed."


True happiness is so much grander and better than always having what I want. If I want to find new Amis who are truly ready to listen, what do I need to do? "Work hard and obey willingly," trusting that God will make up for everything I can't do. It really isn't the missionaries who make the work happen, its Heavenly Father preparing His children everywhere and we just open our mouths. And that's what makes me happy. I'm so happy to know that we have a Heavenly Father who loves and takes care of His children. Who helped me learn French and helps me to keep learning every day. Who has given me the best companions on the face of the planet. Who has let me be a witness to incredible miracles. Has let me seen the infinite healing and enabling power of the atonement work in people's lives first hand.


Happiness is so much more profound than a passing mood, it's a state of being that comes from how we choose to view our circumstances. Elder Nelson said: "My dear brothers and sisters, the joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives."


And speaking of joy, something that brought me so much joy this week was seeing almost all my former companions at MLC!! 

Soeur Jones, Soeur Kelley, Soeur Goreeba. Seriously the best ever. 
While it's true joy can be found in any situation, it's also true that the circumstances of my life are pretty top, I'm so blessed and just so lucky to be here right now.

I love you all, have a great and happy week!
Love,
Soeur Goold





No comments:

Post a Comment