Monday, December 4, 2017

ÉclairerleMonde (update #70)


Joyeux Noël tout le monde!!

I think I'm going to start every email from now until Christmas with Merry Christmas because I'm sooo happy it's Christmas :))

I'm sad because I don't have a picture of the most important thing that happened this week: Lucille's baptism!!! It was so beautiful. As she came out of the water and up the steps of the baptism font she just fell into our arms and was crying tears of joy and relief to "finally" be baptized. As I hugged a warm, wet and very happy Lucille it was so obvious that she was completely at peace and happy with her decision. I feel like before my mission I always imagined what it might feel like to "baptize someone" or teach someone who chooses to be baptized. The funny thing is that it doesn't feel much different from going to the baptism of a sibling or a friend. It's so special and you love the person so much, but the most breathtaking part isn't the fact that we taught the person, it's that someone we love so much has taken such a huge step of faith to come unto Christ.

Also, s/o to Mama Goold for making the programs for the baptism!!
 
They were perfect and Lucille was SO sparked that they were made by someone in America who loves her (even without really knowing her).

This week we also hung out with Marie and the Thomas family (super cool Americans in our ward).
It was SO much fun!! We talked, ate delicious potato soup, watched a Christmas video and had a great time. Honestly being with Marie is just like being with a friend. And the best part is that part of being her friend is also helping her (slowly but surely) come to know Heavenly Father. She wasn't raised in a very believing family, but religion is gradually becoming a part of her life. I love love watching the huge difference it makes to begin to understand the simple belief that Heavenly Father is real, that he loves us and has a plan for us. It simplifies and changes everything about life.

Speaking of simplifying, I've been thinking a lot about the importance of simplicity this week. It has been a crazy, busy couple of weeks here in Toulouse. We've had conferences, exchanges, meetings, ward parties, just so many things!
 
 And I've loved every minute of it. If you know me, you know that I'm a busy person. I like to have things to do, and when I don't have things to do I usually find something to keep me busy haha. But sometimes I get so caught up in my "busyness" that I forget WHY I like to be busy. The point of doing things isn't just for the sake of doing something. the point of doing things is to edify and be édifiéd, to learn and grow, to give and receive love, to appreciate and make the most of this beautiful Heavenly Father has given us.

I love this Dieter F Uchtdorf quote:
"If life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most."
And what better time of the year than Christmas to slow down, take a deep breath, and remember what matters most? I LOVE the #LighttheWorld (Éclairer le monde) initiative the church is doing in December. The best way to find ourselves and remember our divine identity as children of God is to turn towards others and help them recognize their own divine potential.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the thought that I'm supposed to "light the world." But what I love about lighting the world is that it isn't about changing the world all at once. We're not setting the world on fire. We're not expected to fill the world with light alone. We're just giving the little we have to give. No light is too small to cast out darkness. It's a smile, a hug, a kind word, an invitation. And at the end of the day, we are just spreading the perfect, all encompassing light of the only perfect human ever to walk the earth: Jesus Christ. So what good does it do to worry about how big or small my light might be?? None!

"This is a work of love and not statistics" - Mother Theresa

In other words, it's not about how much we do or what we do, but the motivation with which we do it.

We had an activity Saturday after Lucille's baptism to #Eclairerlemonde by making little shoe boxes filled with food and little presents for families in need in our area. Soo much fun!! I'm mostly just in awe with how people can come together and make things happen. Everyone brings what they have to contribute and then all together it lights the world.

Other highlights this week included Christmas conference today with all the Bordeaux, Toulouse and Montpellier zones (and the Browns)!! We had so much fun and even watched Cars 3. Super weird to sit down and watch a movie haha... it's been a while. it was actually really good though.

Well I have to run but I love you!! Thank you for the lights that you are in the world and the inspiration you are to me.

Je vous aime fort!
Sœur Cami Goold
























No comments:

Post a Comment